Fort Lauderdale Building Code Attorney
The changes in Florida Building Code on March 15, 2012, did more than just present challenges for new construction and remodeling projects. Many building permits were held up to ensure conformance to the new code. If a homeowner moved forward with a project or a contractor was unaware of the changes, projects could be in violation of the new codes.
Construction law is always evolving, requiring an attorney who possesses more than ongoing knowledge of the laws and any changes. Patrick Giunta — the founder of our law firm — not only possesses sophisticated knowledge and extensive experience, but he also has a background working in the construction industry. He has also conducted numerous seminars with national businesses and presented Continuing Legal Education (CLE) materials.
A Broward County Construction Contract Lawyer With Knowledge Of Recent Code Changes
The code changes approved by the Florida Building Commission (FBC) numbered 112 and removed previously approved Florida Specific Amendments. Several significant changes involved:
- Wind design in accordance with new American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) involving a state-created wind map reducing design pressure from 0 to 31 percent
- Removal of fire sprinkler requirements for one and two family dwellings
- A FEMA-requested provision for construction in flood prone areas
- A change to the ignition barrier requirement for spray foam used in attics with a thermal barrier provided when spray foam insulation is used in attics
- New provisions to regulate use of building integrated photovoltaic roofing modules and shingles
- Duct sizing in accordance with ACCA manual D with ducts and air handlers located in conditioned space or rated “substantially leak free” by a Class 1 Building Energy Rating System (BERS)
- Replacement A/C units sized in accordance with a nationally recognized standard and calculation submitted for permitting
- Additional 5 percent increase in efficiency
Convenient location • Free parking • Evening and weekend appointments by special arrangement • Credit cards accepted